Communications Manager (part-time)
The Melville Charitable Trust is the largest foundation in the United States exclusively devoted to supporting solutions to prevent and end homelessness. We fund housing-centered solutions that enable people who have experienced homelessness to reclaim their lives. The Trust collaborates actively with a growing network of individuals and groups and aims to serve as a catalytic grantmaker, convener, and national voice in the fields of housing and homelessness. Ultimately, the Trust is setting out to change public thinking about the ways to consider and end homelessness. Our conscious strategy had been to move policy, decision making and the structure of government and philanthropy away from emergency, palliative responses that serve only to perpetuate homelessness and toward proven, lasting and cost effective alternatives that will permanently end homelessness as we know it today.
The Communications Manager will report to and work closely with the Vice President, Programs. This part-time (25 hours per week) position is based in Boston, MA, with periodic travel to the Trust’s offices in Hartford and New Haven.
About the position
The Trust is seeking a Communications Manager to support our efforts to:
- Engage the public and political spheres around specific policy issues
- Reframe how the public sees/understands the issue of homelessness and its solutions
- Improve our grantees’ communication capacity
- Tell the Trust’s story
The role includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Manage the Melville Trust’s social media presence. This includes developing and publishing digital content that spreads awareness of the Trust’s mission and current work
- Connect with and promote the work of our grantee partners through social media
- Manage, evaluate and develop new social media channels as needed
- Author/co-author content for website, including case studies, blog posts, other relevant updates
- Plan for additional placements of Trust web content through grantee partners, funder partners, as well as media sources, specifically philanthropy, housing/homelessness, and general news
- Manage the revamp of the Trust website, overseeing external vendors, including graphic designers, printers, writers and videographers as required
- Manage website content management system
- Manage development of a new annual report, overseeing external vendors
- Plan and develop content for a Melville Trust e-newsletter for monthly distribution
- Conceptualize, develop infographics
Media and Editorial
- Manage and plan media coverage and social media in conjunction with Trust grantmaking, initiatives, convenings, and events.
- Work with Trust staff and co-author op-eds, blogs
- Pitch and coordinate speaking slots at relevant conferences in the philanthropic as well as the housing and homelessness fields
- Assist in presentation preparation for Melville staff
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 5 years marketing or communications experience with a strong focus in social media and content creation
- Established portfolio of authored articles, blog posts and active presence on social media
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing marking and communications project with minimal supervision
- Strong writing, editing and verbal communication skills, including the ability to succinctly summarize and synthesize complex topics into easily digestible takeaways, press releases and web content
- Working knowledge of content management systems, email marketing services, Microsoft Office Suite basic HTML and WordPress, Tweetdeck or other relevant media management tools
- Strong ability to multitask, think and respond quickly while maintaining attention to detail and successfully meeting goals and deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate and effectivelyl engage with colleagues
- Ability to work on projects independently with minimal supervision
- An understanding of housing and homelessness issues is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
The Trust offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with experience and education
Please email your resume and cover letter explaining how your skill fit this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.