What We’ve Learned
After working with more than a hundred grantee partners for over twenty years we are now convinced of the following:
- Homelessness is a solvable problem.
- Decent, safe, accessible and affordable housing is indispensable to solving the problem of homelessness.
- Providing housing with support services to those who have enduring disabilities is the smart, humane, cost-effective solution to long-term homelessness.
- Our society has more than adequate economic capacity to invest in the housing and provide the services that can eliminate homelessness anywhere in America.
- Government agencies and officials, as well as our elected representatives on the local, state, national levels must be in the forefront of efforts to end homelessness, investing significant resources in housing and service programs that lead to individual and family independence.
- All that is needed to eliminate homelessness in America is the political will to do so.